Wednesday, July 7, 2010

Oh the joys of the dentist...

I took Roo for her first dental appointment yesterday.  My sister had told me they'd count her teeth and send me on my merry way, but they actually cleaned them, polished them and put floride on them.  They kept remarking how good she was for a 2-year-old to sit there and open wide and let them clean her teeth.  That's Roo though; she's a pretty easy going girl most of the time.

Then today it was my turn.  I took Roo to daycare since I wasn't sure what I'd do with her while I was being scraped, poked and generally berated for my horrible teeth.  I haven't been to the dentist since before Roo was born because the last guy I went to shook.  Not something I look for in people putting needles and drills in my mouth. 

This dentist was great though.  They gave me a warm neck wrap, which was very relaxing and there was actually no berrating about the poor condition of my teeth.  It probably helped that I wouldn't let them do x-rays, b/c they couldn't see all that they should be berrating about.  It was so nice though to not have people talk down to me about how I don't floss right (or at all) and how I need to take care of them better and how I need to stop drinking pop (which I have stopped drinking caffinated pop), etc.  They were just nice. 

They did sell me a fancy, schmancy toothbrush.  I'm hoping it helps.

2 comments:

Rebecca said...

Wow! What a good girl! When are you supposed to start that with kids?

I love when dentists just talk to you like you're a normal person. I mean, seriously...we all know we need to floss more. We just don't do it! We're not stupid, just lazy!

I love my fancy toothbrush...hope you do too!

Danifred said...

Good for Roo!
At Tot's last visit (at 4), she screamed almost the entire time. Great fun.