Sunday, March 28, 2010

Recipe 6 - Spaghetti Squash

So maybe this doesn't really count as a recipe persay, but I'm counting it as one because I LOVE IT!

I should start by telling about my love affair with spaghetti.  I have loved spaghetti since I was fairly young.  My mom let us pick what we wanted her to make us for supper for our birthdays and I always picked spaghetti.  I also claimed spaghetti as my good luck charm and requested it the night before any game in high school, so basically we ended up eating it 3 times a week or so.  Plus when I lived on my own after college I ate it for supper probably 3 or 4 nights a week.

However, as I try to eat healthier I decided that spaghetti probably wasn't a good choice.  I've tried whole wheat spaghetti in the past and didn't like it.  I decided to get a spaghetti squash just to see what it was like.  I didn't really envision it being a spaghetti substitute.  It's squash after all, how could squash taste enough like spaghetti for me to be happy eating it?  But the fact is I LOVE IT!

Now, it doesn't taste exactly like spaghetti, nor does it have the same texture exactly.  But it tastes better in my opinion than the whole grain stuff and is really similar to angel hair pasta in my opinion.

So here is how I made it.  I sliced it in half, which was a task in itself.  Then I scooped out the seeds and the icky stuff.   Then all you do it bake it at 375 degrees for 45 minutes, skin side up.  When you take it out you take a fork and rake the "spaghetti" out of the skin.



See!  Doesn't it even sort of look like spaghetti?  Roo loved it, even ate it before she ate her regular spaghetti noodles which I had to make b/c Mikey refused to try the squash.

If you want to know more about the nutritional comparsion between spaghetti squash and spaghetti, check out my post here.

6 comments:

Robyn said...

I'm NOT a fan of squash but you have almost convinced me to try it.

Danifred said...

I have a love/ hate affair with spaghetti squash. I want to love it, but after a few bites, I'm struggling. It's good, but I just wish it were better, you know, like spaghetti :)

Fishsticks and Fireflies said...

This is one I am definitely going to try! I am really making a conscious effort to get 5 to 8 servings of fruits and vegetables into my daily diet, and this will be a nice change of pace.

Messy Mommy said...

We LOVE spaghetti squash. We kinda got a little sick of it though because we ate it all the time when Otter was on his low carb diet for his epilepsy since he couldn't eat real spaghetti.

Marie said...

I'm a big fan of spaghetti squash too.

Jenny said...

We cook ours in the microwave. We just stab it a few times to vent it and then stick it in the microwave, turning once. The "spaghetti strands" scoop right out after it is done steaming. Super easy and super yummy!