Monday, March 8, 2010

Recipe 2, 3 and 4 and something nice for a friend.

I've been busily working on attaining my goal of trying 30 new recipes.  I have several bookmarked to try and this weekend I made a couple of them.


Recipe 2 - Homemade Banana Bread
I was really excited to find Chrystal's blog because she shares some great recipes and is also intrested in photography.  I will admit to having thrown away several bananas due to over-ripeness in my time, but no more.  I'm a changed woman.  Why?  Because Chrystal's recipe is super easy and made with ingredients that I usually have on hand.

It's starts with mashing bananas.

 

Then you add butter, sugar, flour, etc.  Go to Chrystal's blog if you want her recipe.  A couple of snags I ran into; first, if you are making bread you should probably have a bread pan.  I didn't.  Best I could come up with was an 8x8 square baker.  The other snag was that I had 3 bananas instead of two and since I'm a reformed over-ripe banana tosser I couldn't just throw it out, so I added a 1/2 again to each of the ingredients.


I suppose that my lack of a bread pan means I made banana cake? or bars? but I like the idea of being a "bread baker," so I'm calling it bread.
 
It was delicious!  Mikey agreed and Roo at some too. Thanks for the recipe Chrystal.



Recipe 3 - Strawberry Pretzel Dessert
I'm pretty sure I've had this before, but I've never made it.  I found the recipe in a church cookbook, but I'm sure there are similar ones all over the internet.

Mikey invited his mom and sister and bro-in-law over for lunch on Sunday so I decided to make this for dessert.  It's a pain in a behind.  I don't plan on making it ever again.  It was delicious, but letting things set for hours and then doing something else and then setting again and doing something else.  Not a fan of that.  Plus I started it after I started the roast so it was just done setting after we ate. 


I also messed up and didn't mix the cool whip in with the layer on top of the pretzels, so it looks funny b/c the strawberries pushed down on it, making it look all weird.

The best part of making this recipe was having a good reason to get out my grandma's mixer and then licking the beaters clean.  Makes me think of my grandma and how much she loved me everytime I do this.

 




Recipe 4 - Cinnamon White Chocolate Popcorn with Peanuts: Plus something nice for a friend
The final recipe I made was a recipe I sorta made up.  I used this recipe for white chocolate popcorn.  It's super easy and then I added redhots aka cinnamon imperials and some peanuts.  It was easy and delicious.

I made this popcorn for my dear friend that I teach with.  She got the bad news today that her daughter-in-law found a lump on her breast.  The daughter-in-law is only 25 and is in remission from lymphoma, so there is a real concern that this will be cancer.  She is getting a mammogram tomorrow and my dear friend and her husband are driving the 2 hours to their sons to be with her and their son.  

I made the popcorn and then bought some diet coke as a little traveling treat.  I even put some baby wipes in a baggy, since the popcorn is a little messy.

I also made a card with a picture of Roo on the front.  I went to the store to try to get a "Thinking of You" card, but I'm card picky and I thought this picture was a good "Thinking of You" picture.
 


If any of you are willing, please pray for the daughter-in-law.  Thank you.


13 comments:

Fishsticks and Fireflies said...

I am awful at those 'do-something-now, do-something-2-hours-from-now, do-something-later' recipes! Although I can't understand why . . . with 3 kids, I am never able to do anything in one sitting!

And how sweet are you for doing that for your friend?! She and her daughter-in-law will be in my thoughts.

Cheryl said...

I want to dive into your strawberry pretzel dessert, even though I'd probably never make it - like you, I'm not a fan of recipes you have to attend to several times throughout the day. I love making popcorn mixes... there's a great maple popcorn recipe that I make every fall (I think it's a Southern Living recipe).

Michelle Leigh said...

I'm so sorry about your friends daughter in law. What horrible news. I will keep them in my prayers today and hope things go well.

The Tompkins Family said...

I'm a huge fan of freezing overripe bananas and then thawing them when I'm finally ready to bake. Also, I've found you can add as many as 1 entire banana without having to change any of the other ingredients...just makes it super moist!

My thoughts are with your friend and her daughter in law. I hope for good news.

uncomplicateme said...

Omg I LOVE Strawberry Pretzel Salad - it's a family favorite and we just made it last weekend for B's birthday!! :) I've done the thing before where the white stuff comes up into the top layer - the trick is to make a "seal" of the white layer all around the edges of the pan so the jello can't seep through to the pretzel layer. Then if you let the jello layer set up a bit so it's not super liquidy it won't run as much. I've only made this about 10,000 times though, so it's definitely a learning experience as you go. :)

I will keep your friend's daughter-in-law in my prayers, so so so scary!

uncomplicateme said...

Oh, also, you shouldn't have to let it sit for hours waiting on things to happen. Really the only thing that has to sit a bit is the crust, and I just wait until it's not super hot, but still warm. I just start on the white stuff and jello layers when the crust comes out of the oven to kill time. You do have to let the jello sit up a bit, but if you use frozen strawberries or pop the bowl in the freezer, it takes about 10 minutes. (Can you tell I'm trying to talk you into trying it again?! :) I'm not, I just LOVE it that much!)

Messy Mommy said...

looking good! especially the strawberry one

MJW said...

They all sound great! My mom used to make cinnamon popcorn all the time growing up. I'll have to share this one with her. We tried making a rainbow cake this weekend. That was interesting! )

Danifred said...

I have such a weird aversion to cinnamon. I like it, but tend to not want to try anything that calls for it as an ingredient. I think I need to branch out a little bit.

Robyn said...

That is a sweet care package.

Jenny said...

I love the popcorn idea. I'll have to try that!

Sending prayers their way!

Chrystal said...

Your strawberry pretzel dessert looks amazing. I am putting it on my to make list. Sorry about your friend. Your an awesome friend. Glad you made the Banana cake, bars, bread. LOL

Chrystal said...

PS The card idea was great and I added your friends daughter to my prayer list.