Wednesday, March 17, 2010

A Flat Tire in the Middle of Nowhere

I always joke that I live in the middle of Nowhere, but really, the middle of Nowhere is farther west in Nebraska.  So yesterday and today I headed 3 hours west to a conference for school.  What really stunk is that I had to be away from Roo and the hubs for a night, but the conference was very good and informative.

So today, the conference ends at 1 and I'm on my merry way from the middle of nowhere to just slightly east of nowhere.  I get 10 miles out and the school car is making a weird noise so I pull over - flat rear tire.  Great!

Now what I usually do when I get a flat tire, and I know this is pathetic, is call my hubs or my dad or my brother or even my cousin, but I doubted they'd make the 3 hour drive.  So, I got out the spare, took off the flat, and put the spare on.  Just as I was letting down the car, two guys stopped in a Dept of Roads truck.  They said, and I kid you not,

"Tire go flat?"

I actually looked around for Bill Engval and so wanted to say, "Nope, this is all part of an elaborate drill,"  but I just said yep.

But then they asked, "did you already change it?"

Seriously?!?!  The spare is small, so it's obviously a spare.  I so wanted to say, "nope, just shrank it," but I just said yep.

It was really nice of them to stop, but really?

Then I get to a town with a tire shop, which was not the first  town I went through, and explain my plight to the lady working.  She asks if I can leave it over night.  Uh? Really? Didn't I just explain that I live THREE HOURS AWAY!  I say no, and repeat the 3 hours away thing and she still asks if I can leave it or come back another day.  Seriously?!?! What part of that is not understandable.  So I tear up.

Luckily the tire manager comes into the office and asks about the school car.  The lady explains what I need and that I won't leave it over night.  I tearfully add that I live 3 hours away.  I didn't mean to be tearful, but I was exhausted and I was just done.  He says, pull it around back, I'll do it right away.

Thank goodness there was one sane soul in the middle of nowhere!

7 comments:

The Tompkins Family said...

DUUUHHHHH. People can be so stunned. Lucky for the manager! Glad you made it home safe and sound.

For the Love of Naps - Sarah said...

Glad you made it back safe and sound. AND I am so impressed you know how to change a tire enough to get to real help. I would have NO clue!

Danifred said...

Good for you for changing that tire by yourself! Woo hoo girl!
So glad you made it home safely :)

Michelle Leigh said...

Wow, glad to hear things worked out. And, I am totally impressed that you changed the tire yourself! I never could have done that!

MJW said...

You can't fix stupid! :) It reminds me of those "here's your sign" emails. Great story! :)

Holly at Tropic of Mom said...

Hurray for nice people who get it!

Robyn said...

I'm glad they fixed it for you right away. Woot for you for changing it.