Tuesday, March 2, 2010

Book #2 - Keeping Faith by Jodi Picoult

I'm a fan of Jodi Picoult books.  While I read for TV in my head, Jodi Picoult creates more of a great dramatic movie.  I also don't like her books.  There is never enough closure for me.  I love reading them, but when I get to the end there is almost always a sense of disappointment.



I just finished Keeping Faith.  It is about a mother whose husband cheats on her and she catches him.  When it happened the first time she tried to commit suicide and he had her institutionalized.  Turns out she was pregnant when he institutionalized her.  The book picks up where he has done it again, cheated, and follows how the mother copes.  The little girl, Faith, starts talking to "God" and performing miracles, or does she?  The cheater files for custody after remarrying and throngs of people start to visit the little girls home.  It's pretty involved as any Jodi Picoult book is.  I had a hard time putting it down at night and even had to start setting a time limit so I wouldn't stay up reading too late.  It was very good

I've read most of her books.  I really liked, yet didn't like, Nineteen Minutes, which talks about a school shooting and why it happens and such.  I loved it, but I wanted the author to take a stand, she didn't.  I'd recommend it as well, but don't expect closure.

Going to the library tomorrow and hope to find a good book.  If anyone has any suggestions I'd love to hear them, although my local library is a little lame, not a lot of books.  But I have gotten good about inter-library loan.

Oh, and people always ask me how I find the time to read.  I read every night before bed, even if it's only for 5 minutes.  I have since I was a little kid.  I have a hard time "shutting it off" every night unless I do.  I think about my family, my students, things I need to get done, everything, unless I read or am very tired. If I don't read I lay in bed for hours thinking.

8 comments:

The Tompkins Family said...

I, too, am a fan and not a fan of Jodi!

For a very fascinating (but slightly disturbing) read, check out Still Alice by Lisa Genova. It's a first person (fictional) account of Alzeihmer's. I couldn't put it down.

Go to authors for me are Marian Keyes, Emily Giffen, Jennifer Weiner, Lolly Winston and the like. Not real "deep" reads but perfect for right before bed. :)

uncomplicateme said...

I sort of feel like I can finally catch up on reading, now that B is one. It's taken me an entire year to say that. I just got Secrets She Left Behind from the library, I've heard good things about it! :)

Leslee P said...

hey, i use picnik to edit and play with my photos. that is one of the premium features. you pay $25 for a whole year and you can play all you want. there are some fabulous features on there. the colage feature is one of my favorties. I have a link on my blog on one of my recent posts about digital scrapbooking. you can also buy one month for $5 so you can see if you are gonna like it, but I promise, you will...

Robyn said...

I haven't read any of her books. I keep a list of books I want to read on goodreads. Once in a while I will actually come across one that is on there and take it out from the library.

Danifred said...

I love Jodi Picoult! One of these days I'll be able to pleasure read again.... *sigh*

For the Love of Naps - Sarah said...

Jodi Picoult is my favorite author. Recently I read THE HELP and it is probably my all time favorite book! IT IS SO GOOD! I also just read a young adult book called Hunger Games that I couldn't believe is considered young adult...couldn't put that one down. Sounds like we have similar reading styles. Let me know what you read next!

Marie said...

I do like Jodi Picoult but haven't read everything of hers so I can't say I love all her books.

I just read several books by Sandra Dallas and I've really liked them. I also LOVE the Ladies Detective Agency (not exactly sure that's the right title) series. Set in Africa, funny and interesting. If you haven't read The Guernsey Literary and Potatoe Peel Pie Society I hightly recommend it too. I've heard The Help is phenomenal but I'm on the wait list for that at the library.

Jen K. said...

I've gotta second Sarah's suggestion of The Hunger Games...I was so surprised I loved it so much. It was my favorite book I read all of last year. They are two in the series so far, Catching Fire is the second and the third is coming out this summer. I'm actually listing to a Podcast about it as I type this :)

Also, I always have to recommend The Time Traveler's Wife, since it's my favorite book of all time.

I always read Jodi Picoult also, but am not always pleased, or I guess fullfilled with the ending. I think my favorite one of her's was Plain Truth.