Tuesday, February 23, 2010

Photography - Aperture

Since goal #8 is develop my photography skills I have been looking online for lessons and such.  I found Better in Bulk which has a blogography challenge, co-hosted by Manic Mother and this one was on aperture




Manic Mother



I think I have a pretty good handle on aperture, but I found the info and sample pictures a great refresher.  It took me forever to get in in my head that "large aperture" equals small number.  I also decided to add my pics to the challenge.

So here they are:

Small Aperture Pic: F 16

Large Aperture Pic: F2.2


I'm not going to lie; I love these two pictures.  Probably because I used them to try to explain aperture and depth of field to my dad, who is officially a senior citizen (self-proclaimed).  He clearly wasn't listening to me as I was explaining, because he said about the second picture, "I understand, but this one looks blurry to me."


Aperture is one of my favorite things to play with when taking pictures.  I have a 50 1.4, makes a great lens for low light situations and allows me to play with depth of field when I have lots of light.

In order to get the depth of field I want with my kit lens, I had to do some math. I have a 55-200 lens as well. If I have enough light, I can go to a focal length of 200 and then crank open my aperture to 5.6 and I have the same depth of field as my 50 at 1.4. You do have to have plenty of light (and hopefully my math was correct on this...). This has been really nice when taking, or maybe it is better stated as, trying to take, pictures of birds and having nice background.

12 comments:

Danifred said...

I don't know what all that means, but I wish I did.
I really need to learn more about taking photos. A new camera would be in order first though.

Jenny said...

This is the best example I've seen! LOL at your Dad!

The Grammie Diaries said...

Thanks for stopping by and commenting on my blog. You have a really sweet blog yourself here. You can check of #18 today too :)
Oh..and lucky camper owners! I'm going to follow your blog so when you start enjoying that new big toy you have, you'll be showing off your photos!
Have a great week!

Lolli said...

I love your examples!! I am laughing over your dad's response! Thanks for participating and linking up today!

t.bird said...

http://www.twopeasinabucket.com/default.asp

these guys have a 12 week online course (free)- it's super!
:)

uncomplicateme said...

Hey there! I hopped over from Jen's (Here We Go Again) blog because I clicked on your profile and went HOLY MOLY SHE'S FROM NEBRASKA. :) Because, you see, so am I. And also, in the 2 1/2 years I've been blogging (yikes) I've never "met" any bloggy friends also from Nebraska. :) So anyway, I'm just catching up, but happy belated birthday and I can't wait to see how your year of blogging goes! :)

Marie said...

those two photos are perfect...am laughing over your Dad's response. :)

Confessions From A Working Mom said...

Those are great looking shots! Don't worry, my husband doesn't understand when I use my camera for "artful" purposes either!

You cracked me up with the "third arm" comment on my arm... I have some of those organic moms around too, I might pull that comment out!

~Elizabeth
Confessions From A Working Mom

Amy said...

Great shots, thanks for visiting me today :)

Manic Mother said...

I love your pictures! It took me forever to equate large aperture with small number, for me its a number thing, I am awful with all of them!

Kelly said...

this is awesome! i am also wanting to better my picture skills! i need a new camera BADLY! what kind of camera do you have??

Thank you for stopping by my blog and following!
Have a wonderful day!

Shauna said...

Great examples. I get the same response when I try to explain apertures. Too funny!