Tuesday, February 16, 2010

My first sewing project!

I really wanted a sweet camera strap cover for my birthday, but I absolutely could not pick one from the sites that have them available.   Then I found this awesome tutorial which was thankfully super easy to follow.  My sewing skills are a bit rusty since the last time I sewed in 8th grade making a bag.

I am really happy with the results.

 
I used two different fabrics because I couldn't decide which one I liked better.
  
I really wanted a pocket for my lens cap.  I have almost lost it about 100 times so I think it will be really handy.
  
I put two pockets on it so that I could keep a spare SD card in one.
  
I really love it!
  
Roo modeling the finished product.
 


The only thing I would add to the tutorial is that if you want to take nice pictures of it, and you only have 1 nice camera, take the pictures before you put it on your camera.  I was so excited that I actually made something that I put it on before taking pictures.

Also, thank you, thank you, thank you to Simply Modern Mom for such a great tutorial.  I am a true beginner sewer and I am so excited to sew more.


6 comments:

Danifred said...

I like that you used two different fabrics, I love that look!
Now, all I need is a new camera to put a strap on. (that didn't quite come out right....)

LeeAnn Howard said...

Thanks for stopping by my blog today. I completely agree with you and trust me, I would be lying if I said that it hasn't crossed my mind to do a buy-n-bail. But I just cant have that on my conscious. Oh well, we sit here and wait.. Btw... Cute camera strap! A friend of mine bought one off of etsy for me about a year ago. I have really been into sewing lately and a new camera strap is on my mind. :) Ill have to bookmark that tutorial for later. OH and Happy 30th! This summer Ill be turning 30 too! yikes!

LeeAnn Howard said...

btw, where did u get your fabric from?

Ellemes said...

Hi LeeAnn! Glad you like it. I got it at Hobby Lobby. It's a Brother Sister Design, if that helps. They had several coordinating fabrics.

Leslie Collins said...

Cute strap! :)

Michelle Leigh said...

Great job! I totally want a new strap but just can't justify spending the money on something like that! You've inspired me, maybe I'll attempt to make one too! Except, I suck at sewing! Hmmm...